Tucked away in a small area in the foothills of Union City is
a small summer cottage with a large garden through which Dry
Creek snakes through. Dry Creek Cottage sits at the end of May
Road, just off Mission Blvd at the end of Whipple Ave.
The land on which the cottage now sits used be owned by Jonas
B. Clark and was used as a picnic grounds during the late 1800's.
The gala event of the year during pioneer times was May Day,
celebrated at the picnic grounds.
In 1884, August May Sr., bought the land and named it Dry
Creek Ranch. In 1900, August May Sr. passed away, passing the
land to his wife Sophia. It was Sophia that built the cottage.
Upon Sophia's death, the land passed to her daughter, Bertha S.
May. Bertha married Henry Haight Meyers (hence the other name for
the cottage, Meyer's Ranch).
The Meyers had three daughters, Edith, Mildred, and Jeanette.
In 1951 the sisters revived the tradition of gathering at the
cottage, and hosted events at the cottage, which now included a
swimming pool and cabana. People would come to stroll through the
gardens, on pebbled paths and crossing the different foot bridges
over Dry Creek
In 1993, the last surviving sister passed away and gave the
land to the East Bay Regional Park District. The District is
reworking the gardens to their former glory. New bridges have
been built over Dry Creek after the older ones had sucummed to
the occasional flood.
The District has plans for opening up the Cottage to the
public, but they must first do some additional restoration and
bring up the facilites to meet newer requirements.
On 23 Oct, 1999, Tim Swenson, Vice President of the Historical
Museum, volunteered for "Make a Difference Day" and
helped out in the Dry Creek Cottage Garden (along with a number
of local Girl Scouts). Tim was able to get some photos of the